Area Director - Africa, Caribbean & Pacific (ACP)
Business & Strategies Europe is a private organisation based in Brussels since 1991 and member of the GOPA group, one of the world’s leading development consultancies. B&S Europe develops projects to support democratisation, human rights and governance in over a 100 countries.
The B&S teams are a group of highly driven professional dedicated to achieving the greatest impact through our projects across geographies.
Purpose of the role
As Director, ACP you are responsible for overseeing the operational and day to day activities of the ACP department as well as business development activities. You will work in close collaboration, supervise and support the Senior Project Managers to ensure high standard delivery and respect of deadlines. In addition, you will work closely with the Managing Director for ACP to help design the strategy and ensure timely implementation.
- Work closely with the Managing Director to prepare strategic orientation and identify development sectors;
- Prepare yearly business plan for operationalizing the business strategy;
- Represent B&S towards clients, partners and external experts;
- Contribute to the overall company strategy by providing suggested business orientations and process improvements;
- Screen and define project acquisition pipeline (existing and new clients), together with the Senior Project Managers;
- Guidance on EoI reparation (strategic guidance to SPMs/PMs to consortium creation, planning and final quality control);
- Overall supervision of Tenders coordinated by SPMs or PMs below 2.5 million ;
- Coordination and preparation of tenders of above 2.5 million: (acquisition strategy, commercial mission, technical design, price strategy to be validated by MD, etc….);
- Justify proposal for on ‘go’ or ‘no-go’ on new opportunities;
- Conduct backstopping and commercial missions when required.
- Supervise project teams during implementation and ensure team members secure margin and/or extra margin;
- Together with SPMs, participate in manage and crisis situations and reduce risk;
- Balanced involvement as expert in key projects to increase personal know how.
- Line-manage ACP SPMs;
- Ensuring teams are adequately staffed through justified work load analysis and a healthy work/life balance to respect goals & deadlines;
- Recruit, provide career guidance, mentor staff, and evaluate team’s performance;
- Coach and develop direct lines of report to ensure delegation of tasks, autonomy in business development and implementation related tasks.
- Participate in identifying new efficient tools for project management
- Coach and train internal staff on internal procedures/processes or on content areas, including onboarding activities;
- Identify areas of process improvement and work in close collaboration with Process and change Manager;
- Work closely with HR Manager on different human resources aspects;
- Active contribution to B&S working groups (regional, technical and thematic).
Desired competencies and experience
- You hold a University degree in Political Science or a related field;
- You have 10-15 years’ experience in Project Management with at least 5 years’ working on projects in Africa;
- You have an in-depth understanding of Governance related sectors and EU strategic documents as well as proven knowledge of EU cooperation policies and instruments and EU PRAG and other donors’ funding procedures;
- You have a strong interest in B&S’ mission and in the African continent;
- You have outstanding communications skills, both written and verbal in French and English;
- You enjoys working with and supporting your teams;
- You believe in building capacity and growing individuals, as well as teams;
- You pride yourself in delivering high quality results within sometimes difficult timeframes;
- You enjoy building and nurturing strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- You are willing to travel 30-50% of your time;
- Above all, you are a true team player with a friendly, open personality and a sense of humour.
What we offer
- A permanent contract with benefits;
- At least 30% travel;
- Flexible working hours with 2 days of remote working per week;
- A great place to work with a team of highly motivated professionals;
- The opportunity to work in a truly diverse and multicultural organisation helping to make the world a better place.
This position is based in Brussels.
How to apply